Share This Post


Do you have to report a minor accident to the UK police?

Do you have to report a minor accident

Do you have to report a minor accident to the UK police? The answer is YES.

No one wishes to be involved in an unfortunate accident. But it can happen within split seconds despite anyone’s fault.

Despite the seriousness of the accident, you’ll need to call the police by dialling 101 (UK police non-emergency number) and report the accident within 24 hours.

If you’re the cause of someone’s vehicle or property damage, with all means, you are supposed to stop, irrespective of the minor damage.

If the person whose vehicle has been damaged is at the scene, leave your name, complete address and vehicle registration.

If you are insecure about exchanging detail at the scene, you can always report the accident to the police within 24 hours, and then you can legally proceed.

In case you hit a vehicle that is parked and can’t locate the owner, you must leave a note on the vehicle with your details.

Below are the crucial things you must follow if you ever become a part of an accident.
Must read: Common injuries in truck accidents

Follow these steps Immediately after the accident:

  • Stop the vehicle as soon as possible (Not to do is considered a serious offence).
  • Turn the engine off.
  • Turn on the hazard lights of your vehicle.
  • Carefully assess your and your passenger’s injuries.
  • If it’s a minor crash and no one is injured, keep a note of it if others try to claim an injury later.
  • If anyone is injured or the road is blocked, call the police and an ambulance immediately.
  • Keeping yourself calm in a situation is crucial. It’s normal to get panicky and shaken by accident; taking a few deep breaths and thinking practically without losing your temper is the key.
  • Do not apologise or agree to your responsibility for the accident until you’re fully aware of the situation – doing this will ensure you are against liability if someone inflicts the fault.

When should you call the police?

Call the police if:

  • The driver left the scene without any details.
  • You think the driver has no insurance or is affected by substances like drugs or alcohol.
  • You suspect the driver deliberately intended to cause the accident.

Note: Notice the police within 24 hours. If you didn’t, there might be points inflected on your licence or in the worst case; you might be disqualified from driving your vehicle.

What should you record at the accident scene?

  • You can keep a record by taking pictures of the vehicle’s make, model, number plate and scene.
  • Time and date of the collision.
  • Driving conditions in which the accident occurred, such as the weather, lighting, road quality, etc.
  • Vehicle damages were caused nearside the front wing and door.
  • Injuries to drivers, passengers or pedestrians on the site.
  • Contact details of the eyewitness.

Source: The AA

Share This Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>